Monday, April 25, 2011

Something about these last few days

Artist: Pierre II Veyrier

The writer, perhaps, might not have used this word, but the following truly sounds like resurrection to me:

I have come to terms with life - nothing can happen to me, and my personal fate is not the issue.... By 'coming to terms with life' I mean: the reality of death has become a definite part of my life; my life has, so to speak, been extended by death, by looking death in the eye and accepting it, by accepting destruction as part of life and no longer wasting my energies on fear of death or the refusal to acknowledge its inevitability. It sounds paradoxical: by excluding death from our life we cannot live a full life, and by admitting death into our life we enlarge and enrich it.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, Annie. Etty Hillesum just knocks my socks off. What a marvel she was.

    ReplyDelete

New policy: Anonymous posts must be signed or they will be deleted. Pick a name, any name (it could be Paperclip or Doorknob), but identify yourself in some way. Thank you.