Sunday, April 24, 2011

The glorious danger of Easter

Artist: Piero della Francesca

This speaks to me:

In many respects I find an unresurrected Jesus easier to accept. Easter makes him dangerous. Because of Easter I have to listen to his extravagant claims and can no longer pick and choose from his sayings. Moreover, Easter means he must be loose out there somewhere.

-- Philip Yancey

Of course, he is not only loose "out there somewhere"; he is loose "in here". We live in a Christ-permeated universe. No other teaching is so consoling, so strengthening, so encouraging and, finally, so demanding.

Alleluia, dear people! Alleluia!
~~~

3 comments:

  1. Amen, Ellie. And I love Piero della Francesca.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found your blog via Andie's hat tip at Meandering Through Life. What a great quote for Easter reflection! It pairs nicely with this one, I think, from Margaret Silf, “God has escaped from the sanctuary. And if God gets loose, then we might find God everywhere.”

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Cathy. That IS a stunning painting, isn't it?

    Welcome, Denise. I'm so glad you made your way here. I really like the Margaret Silf quote. Thanks for passing that one on!

    ReplyDelete

New policy: Anonymous posts must be signed or they will be deleted. Pick a name, any name (it could be Paperclip or Doorknob), but identify yourself in some way. Thank you.