Monday, February 14, 2011

Gratitude and oblation

Artist: Christopher Rådlund

I don't think I've recommended the Gratefulness.org website recently. Let me hereby remedy that situation. It was founded by the contemplative monk, Brother David Steindl-Rast, whom I've sincerely admired for many years now. There's a wonderful feature for lighting a virtual candle (among other riches you can find on the site) and also a Word for the Day. Here is today's "word":

Even if I should be locked up in a narrow cell and a cloud should drift past my small barred window, then I shall bring you that cloud, Oh God, while there is still the strength in me to do so.

-- Etty Hillesum

Back in the early days of my own monastic commitment, I made a practice of actively seeking out concentration camp stories. I was (still am) particularly interested in how people respond to the extremes of the human experience. Etty Hillesum definitely became one of my heroes.

May she be one of yours as well.
~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment

New policy: Anonymous posts must be signed or they will be deleted. Pick a name, any name (it could be Paperclip or Doorknob), but identify yourself in some way. Thank you.