Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Prayer in the totality of life

Artist: Margret Hofheinz-Döring

God to enfold me,
God to surround me,
God in my speaking,
God in my thinking.

God in my sleeping,
God in my waking,
God in my watching,
God in my hoping.

God in my life,
God in my lips,
God in my soul,
God in my heart.

God in my sufficing,
God in my slumber,
God in mine ever-living soul,
God in mine eternity.

-- Carmina Gadelica

I've always loved the Celtic prayers that acknowledge the divine in every aspect of both being and action. The above is one example. Such a prayer is a good way to start off the new year and then to turn to frequently. This kind of praise and invocation (for it is both) help us avoid artificially compartmentalizing our lives into the wordly versus the spiritual.

2 comments:

  1. I love the prayers in Carmina Gadelica. Thank you for this one.

    With health matters prevailing in my life yesterday (1/5) I noted in my mind but did not take time to ponder that it was the anniversary of three deaths: my mother (1985), my grandmother (1974), and a lovely neighbor in California (c. 1996). Twelfth Night always carries those memories.

    I am up in the middle of the night, having changed a post-surgery dressing. Things are going well and I thank you, Ellie, for your prayers. Sleep has been a challenge the last two nights. I slept well the first half of tonight and hope to get some good sleep now.

    God in my sufficing,
    God in my slumber,
    God in mine ever-living soul,
    God in mine eternity.

    A very nice prayer in this moment.

    I comment here only occasionally but am very grateful for your offerings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, dear Paul. You were up in the middle of the night - hmmm - not too long ago, in fact.

    You have such sympathy from me, truly. I think it would be so very hard to have any kind of nasal/sinus surgery. I imagine it's quite an endurance test. My prayers continue.

    Right now, I am remembering your mother and grandmother and neighbor and I'm remembering you in your remembrance.

    God's peace to you, friend.

    ReplyDelete

New policy: Anonymous posts must be signed or they will be deleted. Pick a name, any name (it could be Paperclip or Doorknob), but identify yourself in some way. Thank you.