Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Pride and humility

Artist: Annibale Carracci

I'm trying to remember the last time I heard a sermon on the subject of pride and humility. Quite frankly, I'm stumped. That contrast doesn't seem to be a popular subject of late. I think such is unfortunate really because many people do not know to be on the lookout for slipping into spiritual pride. Here's a little observation worth pondering, I think:

A man who is eating or lying with his wife or preparing to go to sleep in humility, thankfulness and temperance, is, by Christian standards, in an infinitely higher state than one who is listening to Bach or reading Plato in a state of pride.


-- C.S. Lewis

No comments:

Post a Comment

New policy: Anonymous posts must be signed or they will be deleted. Pick a name, any name (it could be Paperclip or Doorknob), but identify yourself in some way. Thank you.