Friday, June 11, 2010

Happiness

Artist: Judith Leyster

I have shared with you before, I believe, that I had the privilege of hearing David Steindl-Rast speak at a conference in Virginia back in the 70s and was hugely impressed and moved by what he had to say. Some years later I read that he spent six months of the year in solitude and six months teaching and that was something that truly encouraged me in pursuing my solitary vocation. Here's one of his pithy sayings:

In daily life we must see that it is not happiness that makes us grateful, but gratefulness that makes us happy.

-- Brother David Steindl-Rast

No comments:

Post a Comment

New policy: Anonymous posts must be signed or they will be deleted. Pick a name, any name (it could be Paperclip or Doorknob), but identify yourself in some way. Thank you.