Saturday, January 23, 2010

The uses of adversity

Artist: Carel P. Brest van Kempen

Sweet are the uses of adversity,
Which, like the toad, ugly and venemous,
Wears yet a precious jewel in his head;
And this our life, exempt in public haunt,
Finds tongues in trees, books in the running brooks,
Sermons in stones, and good in every thing.
I would not change it.

-- William Shakespeare

This is very wise advice because, I think, most of us would wish to change it. It takes both courage and a certain trust not to.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for causing me to stop and think with this quotation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad it spoke to you, Ruth. It did to me too.

    ReplyDelete

New policy: Anonymous posts must be signed or they will be deleted. Pick a name, any name (it could be Paperclip or Doorknob), but identify yourself in some way. Thank you.