Thursday, January 7, 2010

Formation of conscience


Have you ever given any thought to what has formed your conscience?

Today I had occasion to remember a 78 record I had as a small child. It was a reading of Oscar Wilde's painful and beautiful short story entitled The Happy Prince. Above is a picture of that old record's cover.

I cried every time I listened to it but I played it over and over because it was so very beautiful. And I learned a lot about social injustice, about empathy, about compassion, about generosity, and about sacrifice.

If you don't know this story, please click through on the title and read it. Not much time will be required; it's very short. Even if you do know it but haven't read or heard it for some time, please read it again. I have. And, yes, this story has once more brought me to tears.

No comments:

Post a Comment

New policy: Anonymous posts must be signed or they will be deleted. Pick a name, any name (it could be Paperclip or Doorknob), but identify yourself in some way. Thank you.