Wednesday, March 18, 2009

I wonder

Western Rose Window of Washington Cathedral

Here's something I found today that is very sobering indeed because I know I don't live this way. And yet I would like to. And I truly do believe that this is the way we are meant to treat each other - are called to treat each other:
I wonder what would happen if
I treated everyone like I was in love
with them, whether I like them or not
and whether they respond or not and no matter
what they say or do to me and even if I see
things in them which are ugly twisted petty
cruel vain deceitful indifferent, just accept
all that and turn my attention to some small
weak tender hidden part and keep my eyes on
that until it shines like a beam of light
like a bonfire I can warm my hands by and trust
it to burn away all the waste which is not
never was my business to meddle with.

Perhaps we can all start by wondering.

No comments:

Post a Comment

New policy: Anonymous posts must be signed or they will be deleted. Pick a name, any name (it could be Paperclip or Doorknob), but identify yourself in some way. Thank you.