Tuesday, March 31, 2009

About the need to prevail


Some very serious challenges have come my way over the last eight days. It's hard not to worry about the future as much as I coach myself to return to the present moment, to trust, to let go, to relinquish. And so the following is something that I found very consoling, inspiring; something that provides a sacred confrontation of the sort that is truly encouraging:

Let us relinquish the future. Let us relinquish it to God, who upholds us in our pain, who frees us for doing what is faithful, but who frees us from the need to prevail….


-- George Hunsinger

I really like the point about freedom from the need to prevail. The culture we swim in tells us that if we don't prevail we are failures. Not so, says the Christ who tells us to lose our life in order to save it. Let it be so -- through Christ, in Christ, for Christ.

2 comments:

  1. I continue to pray for you! You are such an inspiration to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too Sr. Ellie...may you be held and comforted at this time.

    with love,
    annie

    ReplyDelete

New policy: Anonymous posts must be signed or they will be deleted. Pick a name, any name (it could be Paperclip or Doorknob), but identify yourself in some way. Thank you.