Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Cloaked in stillness


Many, many years ago (I was a teenager, probably) I learned from the writings of Rainer Maria Rilke to love questions more than answers. Here is one of his poems:

I am, you anxious one.

Don’t you sense me, ready to break into being at your touch?
My murmurings surround you like shadowy wings.
Can’t you see me standing before you cloaked in stillness?
Hasn’t my longing ripened in you from the beginning
as fruit ripens on a branch?

I am the dream you are dreaming.
When you want to awaken, I am that wanting.
I grow strong in the beauty you behold.
And with the silence of stars I enfold your cities made by time.

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful. I've been reading Rilke lately.

    ReplyDelete
  2. While I've forgotten Rilke for years. Thanks, Ellie. This goes along with what I've been reading about the essence of ourselves hidden by our defenses, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Which book is that from Ellie?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm afraid I don't know. I think I found that on the "Inward Outward" website. It's the spirituality blog of The Church of the Saviour in Washington, D.C.

    ReplyDelete

New policy: Anonymous posts must be signed or they will be deleted. Pick a name, any name (it could be Paperclip or Doorknob), but identify yourself in some way. Thank you.