Monday, September 29, 2008

Christ in the stranger's guise


I first discovered this text from a choral piece I learned in high school. It is a Celtic rune of hospitality:

I saw a stranger yestere’en.
I put food in the eating place,
drink in the drinking place,
music in the listening place.
In the name of the sacred Triune,
the stranger blessed me and my house,
my cattle and my dear ones.
And the lark said in her song,
“Often, often, often,
goes the Christ in the stranger’s guise.
Often, often, often,
goes the Christ in the stranger’s guise.”
You can find one version of it here.

1 comment:

  1. I've been trying to trace this quotation and the link now seems to be dead. It seems to have been circulated by Kenneth Macleod at the 1910 World Missionary Conference. He later published the text in Celtic Review, volume 7, no. 25: the article is available at JSTOR: https://www.jstor.org/stable/30070378?seq=1#metadata_info_tab_contents.

    ReplyDelete

New policy: Anonymous posts must be signed or they will be deleted. Pick a name, any name (it could be Paperclip or Doorknob), but identify yourself in some way. Thank you.