Sunday, June 29, 2008

Imitating Christ

"Pietà"

My great-aunt, who was a very devout Methodist, always had a copy of The Imitation of Christ by Thomas à Kempis on her beside table along with her Bible. I think you can see why:

Ah, Lord God, holy lover of my soul, when you come into my heart, all that is within me shall rejoice. You are my glory and the exultation of my heart: you are my hope and refuge in the day of my trouble.
...
Love is a great thing, yes, a great and thorough good; by itself it makes every thing that is heavy, light; and it bears evenly all that is uneven.
...
Nothing is sweeter than love, nothing more courageous, nothing higher, nothing wider, nothing more pleasant, nothing fuller nor better in heaven and earth; because love is born of God, and cannot rest but in God, above all created things.
...
Make me large in love, that with the inward palate of my heart I may taste how sweet it is to love, and to be dissolved, and as it were to bathe myself in your love.

-- Thomas à Kempis

1 comment:

  1. That's beautiful. I love the way the last phrase sounds, 'and as it were to bathe myself in your love'. It's a wonderful image.

    ReplyDelete

New policy: Anonymous posts must be signed or they will be deleted. Pick a name, any name (it could be Paperclip or Doorknob), but identify yourself in some way. Thank you.