Saturday, December 1, 2007

No greater gift

I'd like to introduce you to somebody known on the web as Real Live Preacher. His real name is Gordon Atkinson and he's the pastor of a very interesting Baptist Church in San Antonio. Here's something he said that I think is quite wonderful:

God, I don’t have great faith, but I can be faithful. My belief in you may be seasonal, but my faithfulness will not. I will follow in the way of Christ. I will act as though my life and the lives of others matter. I will love. I have no greater gift to offer than my life. Take it.
And this is from his church's website:

Covenant is a contemplative congregation - a thoughtful bunch of folks. We are an intimate group of friends who worship God together, play together, and support each other in good times and hard times. We are seeking to have our own lives changed by the Spirit of God. This is a place where you can ask questions and seek answers. We do not all believe the same things, but we do love each other.

Covenant is where children are cherished, people are patient, and everyone knows your name.
I'm not used to congregations describing themselves as contemplative and I'm impressed by it. Sounds like a place of real depth where a person can grow in a wonderfully authentic way. I'd love to visit it one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

New policy: Anonymous posts must be signed or they will be deleted. Pick a name, any name (it could be Paperclip or Doorknob), but identify yourself in some way. Thank you.